Hello! I am Chuin Phang.
I work to create inclusive global workplaces. I host Pearson’s DiscussDiversity Podcast series and am a writer of #inclusionhaiku. With a multi-faceted background, I bring a roll-up-your-sleeves attitude to help support organizational change in a challenging world. My Musicology masters thesis was titled An Orientalist Reading of Two Puccini Opera Characters. Dreamer, Optimist, and Lifelong learner.
2013 - Present
- Higher Education courseware content and editorial process/policy audit subject matter expert (SME).
- Learning & Development Unconscious Bias online/in-person training SME.
- Global D&I Roadmap management and oversight.
- New joiner onboarding content SME.
- Higher Education recruitment best practice SME.
- Primary SME for executive leadership and corporate communications teams.
- Bolster D&I embedding during organizational change.
- Respond to and escalate policy violations and compliance concerns.
- Manager of global communications strategy: social media, intranet, and email channels.
- Foster cross-funcational, matrixed collaborations.
- Global Diversity & Inclusion Advocates program manager (34 members, 6 countries).
- Manager of Global Employee Resource Group (ERG) program (growing 1 to 8 ERGs over 2 years).
- Stewardship of stakeholder relationships with ERG Executive Sponsors.
- Manager of annual Global Inclusion Week at Pearson (doubled employee engagement 2016 to 2017).
- Plan and execute successful D&I Strategic Planning and Team-building Conferences.
- Manager of Pearson’s Gender Transition Handbook project.
- Manager of Pearson’s participation in HRC CEI. Pearson achieved a 100% score 5 years in a row.
- It Gets Better video originator.
- Founder of Pearson Spectrum, Pearson's LGBTQ+ ERG.
- Originator and product owner of a web-based anti-bullying and suicide prevention app for students and teachers. This project is currently still under development.
2010 - 2014
- Customer-focused technical support and troubleshooting of end-user incident tickets.
- Analysis of business needs across Pearson LoBs in integration of content and asset management tools.
- Supporting project manager for global content and rights management Proof-of-Concept.
- Provider and advocate of excellent internal customer service.
2007 - 2010
- Customer escalations.
- CAN SPAM compliance.
- HTML Technical Support.
- Employee Training.
2006 - 2007
- Customer welcome and retention communications.
- Customer billing.
2004 - 2006
- Grassroots fundraising & advocacy for immigrants, limited-English proficient learners.
- Fundraising for non-profit television.
- Language proficiency and translation focused on LGBTQ+ media coverage.
- Advocacy for Asian visibility in the LGBTQ+ communities.
- Interim Global Leader of Diversity & Inclusion (2018-present)*
- Manager of Global Diversity & Inclusion Programs (2016 - present)
- Sr. Advisor, Diversity & Inclusion, Americas (2014-2016)
- Diversity and Inclusion Advocate, Pearson (2013-2014)
- Sr. Support Analyst, Pearson (2010-2014)
- Tier II Customer Relations Specialist, VerticalResponse, Inc. (2007-2010)
- Marketing and Customer Communications Coordinator, Working Assets (2006-2007)
- Development Director, Chinese for Affirmative Action (2005-2006)
- Translator, Mandarin and Malay to English, freelance.
- Development Associate, Link TV (2004-2005)
- Translator, Mandarin to English, GLAAD (intermittently through 2004)
*pending transition of SVP, Diversity & Inclusion
1998 - 2000
Tufts University, Medford, MA
1994 - 1998
Brandeis University, Waltham, MA